M.A. Wanting Wu
Sept 2016-Dec 2016
King’s college London, Visiting Research Student
Queen’s University Belfast, PhD Candidate in Social Anthropology (Second year)
Sept 2012-Dec 2013
Queen’s University Belfast, MA Degree in Social Anthropology (Distinction)
Minzu University of China, MA Degree in Sociology (First Class)
June 2007-Sept 2011
Minzu University of China, BA Degree in Politics and Sociology (First Class)
PAST RESEARCH EXPERIENCE
July 2013- June 2014: Research for Minzu University MA Thesis (First Class=80) "Construction of Chinese students’ social capital and social networks in Belfast"
Sept 2012-Dec 2013: Research for Queen’s MA Thesis (Distinction) "Lions, Lilacs and the Yellow River’s Daughter: Embodying Chinese Identity through Dance in Belfast"
June 2010- June 2011: Research for Minzu BA Thesis (First Class) "Teahouse Performances and Community Integration in Beijing"
Febr-May 2011: Research Practice for Minzu BA Third Year "Nomadic Families and New Cultural Tourism on the Mongolian Steppe"
CURRENT RESEARCH INTERESTS
- Tibetan Migration
- Peace Building
- Tibetan Buddhist Art and Religion
CURRENT PROJECT SUMMARY
I am exploring how dance amongst Tibetan diaspora communities may play a role in healing/mediating the wounds of the past and in negotiating their current situations. Dance ethnography will be used to investigate whether and how peace can be created alternatively through bodily, sensory practice and performance experience.
- Wu.Wanting. (2016) Defining Self: Performing Chinese Identity through Dance in Belfast.
- Esharp- Belonging and Inclusion. 24(spring): 24 - 2. Access at http://www.gla.ac.uk/media/media_461954_en.pdf
- Wu, Wanting. (2015) “Embodying Identities in Transition through Chinese Dance in Belfast” in Irish Journal of Anthropology IJA 17(1).
- Wu, Wanting (Forthcoming) “Embodying Identities in Transition through Chinese Dance in Belfast” in Cuffe, James (ed) Contemporary Liminality. Ashgate: London.
- Wu, Wanting. (2015) “Dancing with Lions: The Assertion and Transformation of Chinese Community and Identity in Belfast” in Queen’s Political Review 3(1): 113-121.
- Gormley, Owen, Jonathan Skinner, Wanting Wu et al. (2013) “"Lived-through learning": Phenomenological elicitation pedagogies in medical students simulation learning” in Journal of Network of Irish Medical Educators.
- Wu, Wanting et al. (2010). 民族大学本科生暑期田野报告 第九章 藏区暑期团队实践 (“Tibet and Yunnan Team Summer Fieldwork Report”) in In the Field: MinZu University Undergraduate Student Summer Field Work Reports. Minzu University: Beijing: 123-45.